- The definition of sibilant is a hissing sound, or a consonant that makes such a sound.
The "ssh" sound is an example of something that would be described as a sibilant.
- Sibilant is a consonant or a speech sound characterized by a hissing sound.
The "sssh" sound is an example of a sibilant.
- having or making a hissing sound
- Phonet. articulated with such a sound, as (s), (z), (?), (?), (?), and (j)
Origin of sibilantClassical Latin sibilans from sibilare, to hiss
Origin of sibilantLatin sībilāns sībilant- present participle of sībilāre to hiss
- sib′i·lance sib′i·lan·cy
(comparative more sibilant, superlative most sibilant)
- Characterized by a hissing sound such as the "s" or "sh" in sash or surge.
- (phonetics) A hissing sound such as the 's' or 'sh' in 'sash' or 'surge'.
From Latin sÄ«bilÄns, present active participle of sÄ«bilÅ (“I hiss").