- the act of preventing the opposing team from scoring in a game
- a game or series of games in which one team is shut out
- See lockout.
- Sports A game in which one side does not score.
- Closing and forbidding entry, as a lockout in which management prevents works from working.
- A shutout is a reverse strike: the union complained and the workers wanted to work, but management was opposed.
- (sports) A game that ends with one side not having scored.
- The score wasn't just lopsided, it was a shutout.