Variant of shovel
- a tool with a broad, deep scoop or blade and a long handle: used in lifting and moving loose material, as earth, snow, gravel, etc.
- any machine equipped with a shovel-like device: a steam shovel
Origin: Middle English schovele from Old English scofl from base of scufan: see shove
- to lift and move with a shovel
- to clean or dig out (a path, etc.) with a shovel
- to put or throw, in large quantities: to shovel food into one's mouth
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.