discrimination against people on the basis of sex; specif., discrimination against, and prejudicial stereotyping of, women
Origin of sexismsex + (rac)ism
- Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
- The belief that one gender is superior to the other, especially that men are superior to women.
(countable and uncountable, plural sexisms)
- The belief that people of one sex or gender are inherently superior to people of the other sex or gender.
- The notion that either gender is superior is sexism.
- Different treatment or discrimination based on a difference of sex or gender.
- The fact that there is only one woman in a management position in that company makes it easy to believe that sexism runs rampant there.
- Disadvantage or unequal opportunity arising from the cultural dominance of one gender over the other.
- In order to succeed in fashion, men generally must acquire various feminine traits, which only points out the underlying sexism.
- Promotion or expectation or assumption of people to behave in accordance with or deviate from a gender role.
- Hollywood contributes to sexism in our society by making and promoting violent films for men and romantic comedies for women.
sex +"Ž -ism