sergeant major definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the chief administrative noncommissioned officer in a military headquarters: an occupational title and not a rank
- ☆ U.S. Army, U.S. Marine Corps the highest ranking noncommissioned officer
- a small damselfish (Abudefduf saxatilis) with several dark, wide, vertical stripes on its bright-yellowish upper body
sergeant major definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. sergeants major sergeants major or sergeant majors
- a. Abbr. SGM or SgtMaj Used as a title for a noncommissioned officer serving as chief administrative assistant of a headquarters unit of the U.S. Army or Marine Corps.b. One who holds this title.
- Chiefly British A noncommissioned or warrant officer of the highest rank in a company or unit of battalion size.
- A small damselfish (Abudefduf saxatilis) of warm seas, having a flattened body with dark vertical stripes. Also called cow pilot.