- a small blanket or other soft cloth, as clutched or stroked by a child for the feeling of comfort and security it affords
- anything that gives a person a sense of safety or freedom from anxiety
An unhappy child hugs her security blanket.
- An example of a security blanket is the old blanket a four year old insists on carrying with him everywhere.
- An example of a security blanket is an emergency fund kept in the bank to make you feel financially comfortable and protected.
Security blanket is a small blanket or anything that provides a feeling of comfort or protection.
- A blanket carried by a child to reduce anxiety.
- Informal Something that dispels anxiety.
(plural security blankets)
From Linus van Pelt's security blanket in Charles Schulz's comic strip Peanuts