- Old-fashioned a woman schoolteacher
- Informal any person whose attitudes and behavior resemble those often attributed to schoolmarms, as pedantry, priggishness, or prudishness
A woman teacher, especially one who is regarded as strict or old-fashioned.
Origin of schoolmarmschool 1dialectal marm (variant of ma'am )
- (US, slang) A woman who is a teacher, especially a teacher in a schoolhouse; may carry the connotation she is severe.
- The schoolmarm, running the old west one-room school, is a stock character in western movies.
- A person, male or female, who exhibits characteristics attributed to schoolteachers of the old times (as strict adherence to arbitrary rules, is strict on those who don't comply to those rules, etc.)
- (forestry) A tree with two or more trunks; a forked tree.