She puts sugar in her coffee but she uses saccharine for her iced tea.
- The definition of saccharine is something overly sweet or overly sentimental.
A really sappy and over-the-top Valentine's Day movie is an example of something that might be described as saccharine.
- Saccharine, an alternative spelling for saccharin, is a white crystal that is used as a sugar substitute.
An example of saccharine is the sugar substitute commonly found on restaurant tables in pink packets.
- of, having the nature of, containing, or producing sugar
- too sweet or syrupy: a saccharine voice
Origin of saccharinefrom saccharo- + -ine
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of sugar or saccharin; sweet.
- Having a cloyingly sweet attitude, tone, or character: a saccharine smile.
- Excessively sentimental: “It was enough for him to rely on sentiment … and saccharine assertions about The Home” ( Kate Millett )
From Medieval Latin saccharum + -ine.
- Of or relating to saccharin.
From saccharin + -ine