transitive verb-·cat·ed, -·cat·ing
- to mark, color, or illuminate (a book, etc.) with red; write or print in red letters
- to provide with or regulate by rubrics
Origin of rubricatefrom Classical Latin rubricatus, past participle of rubricare, to redden from rubrica: see rubric
transitive verbru·bri·cat·ed, ru·bri·cat·ing, ru·bri·cates
- To arrange, write, or print as a rubric: rubricate letters.
- To provide with rubrics: rubricate a manuscript.
Origin of rubricateLate Latin rūbrīcāre rūbrīcāt- to color red from Latin rūbrīcātus rubricated from rūbrīca rubric ; see rubric .
(comparative more rubricate, superlative most rubricate)
- (obsolete) Marked with red.
(third-person singular simple present rubricates, present participle rubricating, simple past and past participle rubricated)