- Obsolete an animal's spine or back
- the long, narrow top or crest of something, as of an animal's back, a wave, a mountain, etc.
- a long, narrow elevation of land or a similar range of hills or mountains
- any raised line or raised narrow strip, as in corded fabric, plowed land, etc.
- the horizontal line formed by the meeting of two sloping surfaces: the ridge of a roof
- a long, narrow high-pressure area on a weather map
ME rigge < OE hrycg, akin to ON hrygr, backbone, Ger rücken, back < IE *(s)kreuk-, a hump, mound < base *(s)ker-, to bend > L curvus, bent, circus, a ring
transitive verb, intransitive verb ridged, ridging
- to mark or be marked with a ridge or ridges
- to form into or furnish with a ridge or ridges