- formed in relief, as a pattern on thin metal beaten up from the underside
- decorated with such patterns
Origin of repousséFr, past participle of repousser, to push back from re-, back + pousser, push
- a pattern or surface made in this way
- the art or process of hammering metal in this way
- Shaped or decorated with patterns in relief formed by hammering and pressing on the reverse side. Used especially of metal.
- Raised in relief.
- A design in relief.
- The technique of hammering and pressing designs in relief.
Origin of repousseFrench past participle of repousser to push back from Old French re- re- pousser to push ( from Latin pulsāre to beat ) ( frequentative of pellere to push ; see repel . )
pattern on a sterling silver knife handle