- a small shrub (genus Ceanothus) of the buckthorn family
- a marsh plant (Lachnanthes tinctoria) of the bloodwort family, with sword-shaped leaves and flat clusters of small, woolly, yellow flowers, found along the Atlantic coast of the U.S.
- pigweed (sense )
- An eastern North American bog plant (Lachnanthes caroliana) having red roots and woolly yellow flowers.
- A coarse cosmopolitan weed (Amaranthus retroflexus) having hairy leaves and stout terminal panicles with dense lateral spikes of green flowers.
- See New Jersey tea.
- Any of several plants with red roots, such as the New Jersey tea, the gromwell, the bloodroot, and Lachnanthes tinctoria.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster's Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.