- Archaic bloodroot
- Archaic a dye from either of these plants
Origin of puccoonsee poke
- a. Any of several North American plants of the genus Lithospermum, having orange or yellow flowers and roots that yield a red dye.b. Any of several plants, such as the bloodroot, whose roots yield a reddish dye. Also called gromwell.
- The dye from any of these plants.
Origin of puccoonOf Virginia Algonquian origin.
- (botany) Any one of several plants yielding a red pigment which is used by the North American Indians, such as the bloodroot and two species of Lithospermum, Lithospermum hirtum and Lithospermum canescens.
- The red pigment (dye) obtained from these plants.