- The definition of a redneck is slang and a derogatory term for a poor white person, often who lives in the rural Southern United States and who often has conservative or bigoted attitudes.
An example of a redneck is a poor, uneducated white person in the South who engages in prejudiced behavior.
☆ or red-neck
Slang a poor, white, rural Southerner, often, specif., one regarded as ignorant, bigoted, violent, etc.: often a derogatory term
Origin of redneckfrom the characteristic sunburned neck acquired in the fields by farm laborers
- Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
- A person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.
- (slang, pejorative) An uneducated, unsophisticated, or poor caucasian person, typically used to describe residents (of any gender ) of the rural Southern US.
- (slang) The nickname given to miners who wore red bandanas for identification during the West Virginia mine war of 1921.