- a tall palm tree (genera Calamus and Daemonorops) with long, slender, tough stems
- a stem of any of these trees, used in making furniture, etc.
- a cane or switch made from this
Origin of rattanMalay rotan from uncertain or unknown; perhaps rautan, a thing that has been cleaned by stripping off the outside
- Any of various spiny climbing palms of the subfamily Calamoideae and especially the genus Calamus of tropical Africa and Asia, having long, tough, flexible stems.
- a. The stems of any of these palms, used to make furniture and other wickerwork.b. Wickerwork made of the stems of these palms.
- A switch or cane made from these palms.
Origin of rattanMalay rōtan ( perhaps from raut to pare or trim for use )
From Malay rotan.