- One who rallies.
Variant of rally
transitive verbrallied, rallying
- to gather together (retreating troops) so as to bring back into a state of order
- to summon or bring (persons) together for a common purpose
- to bring back to action; revive: to rally one's spirits
Origin of rallyFrench rallier ; from Old French re-, again + alier, to join: see ally
- to come back to a state of order: said esp. of retreating troops
- to come together for a common purpose, esp. to assist or support a cause, person, etc.
- to come in order to help: to rally to the side of a friend
- to come back to action, normal strength, etc.; revive: to rally from a fever
- Racket Sports to take part in a rally
- Finance to rise in price after having fallen: said of stocks, etc.
- Sports to come from behind in scoring