- having the form of a wing; winglike
- designating, of, or near either of two winglike processes in the skull that descend from the sphenoid bone
Origin of pterygoidfrom Classical Greek pteryx, genitive pterygos (see pterygium) + -oid
a pterygoid bone or process
- Of, relating to, or located in the region of the sphenoid bone: a pterygoid muscle.
- Resembling a wing; winglike.
Either of two processes descending from the body of the sphenoid bone.
Origin of pterygoidGreek pterugoeidēs winglike pterux pterug- wing ; see pet- in Indo-European roots. -oeidēs -oid
(comparative more pterygoid, superlative most pterygoid)
- Resembling a wing
- (anatomy) Of or pertaining to the sphenoid bone