- Present participle of prickle.
- A sensation that prickles.
- The patient reported intermittent pricklings down his right-hand side.
Variant of prickle
- any sharp point; specif., a small, sharply pointed spine lacking vascular tissue and growing from the tissue under the outer layer of a plant
- a prickly sensation; stinging or tingling
Origin of prickleMiddle English prykel ; from Old English pricel, earlier pricels ; from base of prica (see prick) + -els, instrumental suffix
transitive verbprickled, prickling
- to prick, as with a spine or thorn
- to cause to feel a tingling sensation