- plural form of presbytery
Variant of presbytery
- Presbyterian Ch.
- a body of presbyters; specif., an ecclesiastical court and governing body consisting of the minister and representative elders from each church in a district
- the district of such a court
- the part of a church reserved for the officiating clergy
- R.C.Ch., Now Rare a priest's house; rectory
Origin of presbyteryMiddle English presbetory ; from Old French presbiterie ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin presbyterium, council of elders ; from Ecclesiastical Greek presbyterion ; from Classical Greek presbyteros, elder: see priest