- The definition of PMS, an abbreviation for Pre Menstrual Syndrome, is a group of symptoms which women have before their menstrual period.
Facts About PMS
- Anywhere between 25 and 75% of women experience the symptoms of PMS.
- The symptoms of PMS start up to a week before actual menstruation.
- Symptoms - muscle or joint pain, fatigue, fluid retention, tender breasts, headache, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, insomnia, lack of ability to concentrate, mood swings, tension, depression, appetite changes, crying, forgetfulness
- Treatment - antidepressants, oral contraceptives, over the counter medications, reducing stress levels, exercising daily
An example of PMS is mood swings that can be severe and can include emotional outbursts of anger, sadness, or irritation.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
pms - Computer Definition
(Pantone Matching System) A color matching system from Pantone Inc., Carlstadt, NJ (www.pantone.com) that has a unique number assigned to more than 500 different colors and shades. This standard for the printing industry has been built into many graphics and desktop publishing programs to ensure color accuracy. Introduced in 1963, PMS color swatches have expanded beyond graphic arts into industrial design and the fashion and home arenas. Web designers and business users also rely on PMS shades when they need to select, match and control color. In 2007, Pantone rolled out a new system for digital printing and workflow (see Goe System).
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
PMS - Cultural Definition
Associated with the retention of water and salts in the tissues for up to a week before the onset of menstruation, the symptoms of PMS include irritability, fatigue, emotional distress, and sometimes depression.