planisphere definition by Webster's New World
- a map or chart that is the projection on a plane of all or part of a sphere
- a projection on a plane of the celestial sphere, usually with the N or S celestial pole as the center
Origin: Midieval Latin planisphaerium: see plani- and amp; sphere
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- planispheric adjective
planisphere definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A representation of a sphere or part of a sphere on a plane surface.
- Astronomy A polar projection of half or more of the celestial sphere on a chart equipped with an adjustable overlay to show the stars visible at a particular time and place.
- plaˌni·spherˈic , plaˌni·spherˈi·cal adjective