- Obs. of or secreting mucus
- of the pituitary gland
Origin of pituitaryClassical Latin pituitarius from pituita, phlegm, rheum from Indo-European an unverified form pitu-, juice, food from base an unverified form pei-, an unverified form pi-, to be fat from source pitch, fat
- pituitary gland
- any of various preparations made from extracts of the pituitary gland
- The pituitary gland.
- Medicine An extract from the anterior or posterior lobes of the pituitary gland, prepared for therapeutic use.
- Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
- Of or secreting phlegm or mucus; mucous.
Origin of pituitaryFrom Latin pītuītārius of phlegm (from the early belief that it produced mucus) from pītuīta phlegm ; see peiə- in Indo-European roots.
- (anatomy) Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
- (anatomy) The pituitary gland.
- (anatomy) The pituitary gland together with the pituitary stalk.
- (medicine) An extract from the pituitary gland.