- Obs. of or secreting mucus
- of the pituitary gland
Origin of pituitaryClassical Latin pituitarius ; from pituita, phlegm, rheum ; from Indo-European an unverified form pitu-, juice, food ; from base an unverified form pei-, an unverified form pi-, to be fat from source pitch, fat
- pituitary gland
- any of various preparations made from extracts of the pituitary gland
- The pituitary gland.
- Medicine An extract from the anterior or posterior lobes of the pituitary gland, prepared for therapeutic use.
- Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
- Of or secreting phlegm or mucus; mucous.
Origin of pituitaryFrom Latin p&imacron;tu&imacron;tarius, of phlegm (from the early belief that it produced mucus), from p&imacron;tu&imacron;ta, phlegm; see pei&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
- (anatomy) Of or relating to the pituitary gland.
- (anatomy) The pituitary gland.
- (anatomy) The pituitary gland together with the pituitary stalk.
- (medicine) An extract from the pituitary gland.