Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- ☆ any of several bitter, astringent hickory nuts
- ☆ any of the hickory trees on which these nuts grow
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Either of two deciduous trees (Carya glabra or C. ovalis) of the eastern United States, having pinnately compound leaves, male flowers grouped in catkins, and nuts with somewhat bitter kernels.
- The nut of either of these trees.
- The wood of either of these trees.