nounpl. (see fish) -·fish·, -·fish·es
any grunt fish, esp. a species (Orthopristis chrysoptera) abundant off the E coast of the U.S. and in the Gulf of Mexico
nounpl. pigfish, or pig·fish·es
A grayish grunt (Orthopristis chrysoptera) of the western Atlantic Ocean, often used as bait.
Origin of pigfishFrom the grunting sound it makes
(plural pigfishes or pigfish)
- Any one of several species of salt-water grunts, called also hogfish.
- The golden-spot hogfish, Bodianus perditio
- The redmouth grunt, Orthopristis chrysoptera
- The red pigfish, Bodianus unimaculatus
- Any of several other fishes thought to resemble pigs, including