- a part or fragment broken or separated from the whole
- a section, division, or quantity regarded as complete in itself and distinct from the whole of which it is a part
- any single thing, amount, specimen, example, etc.; specif.,
- an artistic work or composition, as of music, writing, painting, drama, etc.
- an article in a magazine, newspaper, etc.
- an action or its result: a piece of nonsense, business, etc.
- a small firearm, as a pistol or rifle
- a coin or token: a fifty-cent piece
- one of a set or class, as of silver, china, furniture, etc.
- a counter or man, as used in various games; specif., in chess, a chessman other than a pawn
- the quantity or size, as of cloth or wallpaper, that is manufactured as a unit
- an amount or unit of work constituting a single job
- Now Chiefly Dial. an indefinite distance or duration; often, specif., a rather short one
- Now Chiefly Dial. a person; individual
- ☆ Slang a financial interest; share
- Slang: often regarded as vulgar
- a woman regarded as a sexual partner
- an instance of sexual intercourse
ME pece < OFr < ML *pettia < Celt *pett- > Welsh peth, part, Bret pez, piece
transitive verb pieced, piecing
- to add a piece or pieces to, as in repairing or enlarging: to piece a pair of trousers
- to join or unite
Informal, Dialectal to eat a snack between meals