A no smoking pictograph.
- An example of a pictograph is the cigarette with a red circle and slash around it, meaning no smoking.
- An example of a pictograph is the bird image used in hieroglyphics to represent a god.
The definition of a pictograph is a symbol or image that represents an idea.
- a picture or picturelike symbol representing an idea, as in primitive writing; hieroglyph
- a diagram or graph using pictured objects to convey ideas, information, etc.
Origin of pictographfrom Classical Latin pictus (see picture) + -graph
- A picture representing a word, phrase, or idea, especially one used in early writing systems.
- A pictorial representation of numerical data or relationships, especially a graph, but having each value represented by a proportional number of pictures. Also called In both senses also called pictogram .
Origin of pictographLatin pictus past participle of pingere to paint ; see peig- in Indo-European roots. -graph