The definition of a pictograph is a symbol or image that represents an idea.noun
- An example of a pictograph is the cigarette with a red circle and slash around it, meaning no smoking.
- An example of a pictograph is the bird image used in hieroglyphics to represent a god.
- a picture or picturelike symbol representing an idea, as in primitive writing; hieroglyphic
- a diagram or graph using pictured objects to convey ideas, information, etc.
Origin: < L pictus (see picture) + -graph
- pictographic adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun In all senses also called pictogram.
- A picture representing a word or idea; a hieroglyph.
- A record in hieroglyphic symbols.
- A pictorial representation of numerical data or relationships, especially a graph, but having each value represented by a proportional number of pictures.
Origin: Latin pictus, past participle of pingere, to paint; see peig- in Indo-European roots + -graph.
- picˌto·graphˈic adjective
- picˌto·graphˈi·cal·ly adverb
- pic·togˈra·phy noun