- The definition of a pictograph is a symbol or image that represents an idea.
- An example of a pictograph is the cigarette with a red circle and slash around it, meaning no smoking.
- An example of a pictograph is the bird image used in hieroglyphics to represent a god.
- a picture or picturelike symbol representing an idea, as in primitive writing; hieroglyphic
- a diagram or graph using pictured objects to convey ideas, information, etc.
Origin of pictograph; from Classical Latin pictus (see picture) + -graph
- A picture representing a word, phrase, or idea, especially one used in early writing systems.
- A pictorial representation of numerical data or relationships, especially a graph, but having each value represented by a proportional number of pictures. In both senses also called pictogram.
Origin of pictographLatin pictus, past participle of pingere, to paint; see peig- in Indo-European roots + –graph.