- Obs. the Spanish dollar
- a monetary unit equal to of a pound in Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria
- a former monetary unit of Sudan, equal to of a dinar
- a former monetary unit of Turkey, equal to of a lira
Origin of piasterFrench piastre from Italian piastra, thin plate of metal, dollar, ultimately from Classical Latin emplastrum: see plaster
- A unit of currency equal to 1100 of the primary unit of currency in Egypt and various other countries of the Middle East.
- Piece of eight.
Origin of piasterFrench piastre from Italian piastra thin metal plate from Latin emplastrum medical dressing ; see plaster .
- Alternative spelling of piastre.