- Obs. the Spanish dollar
- a monetary unit equal to of a pound in Egypt, Lebanon, and Syria
- a former monetary unit of Sudan, equal to of a dinar
- a former monetary unit of Turkey, equal to of a lira
Origin of piasterFrench piastre ; from Italian piastra, thin plate of metal, dollar, ultimately ; from Classical Latin emplastrum: see plaster
- A unit of currency equal to 1/100 of the primary unit of currency in Egypt and various other countries of the Middle East.
- Piece of eight.
Origin of piasterFrench piastre, from Italian piastra, thin metal plate, from Latin emplastrum, medical dressing; see plaster.
- Alternative spelling of piastre.