- a salt of phosphoric acid containing the trivalent, negative radical PO
- an uncharged ester of this acid
- any substance containing phosphates, used as a fertilizer
- ☆ a soft drink made with soda water, syrup, and, orig., a few drops of phosphoric acid
Origin: Fr from (acide) phosphorique from -ate, -ate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A salt or ester of phosphoric acid.
- A fertilizer containing phosphorus compounds.
- A soda fountain drink made by blending carbonated water with flavored syrup.
Origin: phosph(o)- + -ate2.
- phos·phatˈic adjective
phosphate - Medical Definition
phosphate - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.