- to apply or understand as applied to a particular person, esp. to oneself
- to mark or have marked, as with one's name or initials: personalized checks
transitive verbper·son·al·ized, per·son·al·iz·ing, per·son·al·iz·es
- a. To render personal rather than impersonal or purely professional: personalized the doctor–patient relationship.b. To make or alter so as to meet individual needs, inclinations, or specifications: personalize a drug regimen; personalize e-mails to potential customers.c. To have printed, engraved, or monogrammed with one's name or initials: personalized the bath towels.
- To take (a general remark or characterization) in a personal manner.
- To attribute human or personal qualities to; personify: “songs from the fifties and sixties that personalized automobiles by giving them names” (Christopher Hitchens).