- an outside staircase, as up the slope of a terrace, leading to a platform at the front entrance of a building
- such a platform
Origin of perronMiddle English peroun from Old French perron from pierre, stone from Classical Latin petra from Gr, rock
- A platform at the entrance of a large building.
- A flight of steps leading to such a platform.
Origin of perronMiddle English peroun block of stone used as a platform from Old French perrun pierre stone ( from Latin petra stone, rock ; see petrify . ) -on, -un diminuitive suffix ( from Latin -ō, -ōn- n. suff. )
- (historical) A stone block used as the base of a monument, marker etc.
- (architecture) A platform outside the raised entrance to a church or large building, or the steps leading to such a platform.