- an outside staircase, as up the slope of a terrace, leading to a platform at the front entrance of a building
- such a platform
Origin of perronMiddle English peroun ; from Old French perron ; from pierre, stone ; from Classical Latin petra ; from Gr, rock
- A platform at the entrance of a large building.
- A flight of steps leading to such a platform.
Origin of perronMiddle English peroun, block of stone used as a platform, from Old French perrun : pierre, stone (from Latin petra, stone, rock; see petrify) + -on, -un, diminuitive suffix (from Latin -&omacron;, -&omacron;n-, n. suff.)
- (historical) A stone block used as the base of a monument, marker etc.
- (architecture) A platform outside the raised entrance to a church or large building, or the steps leading to such a platform.