- The definition of a penguin is a bird that lives in the southern hemisphere, cannot fly and has flippers and webbed feet.
An example of a penguin is a bird that waddles across the ice.
A family of penguins.
- great auk
- any of an order (Sphenisciformes) of flightless birds found in the Southern Hemisphere, having webbed feet and paddlelike flippers for swimming and diving
Origin of penguinprobably ; from Welsh pen gwyn, literally , white head (or Breton pen gouin): uncertain or unknown; perhaps in reference to a white headland on a northern Atlantic island, near which they were found
- Any of various stout, flightless aquatic birds of the family Spheniscidae, of the Southern Hemisphere, having flipperlike wings and webbed feet adapted for swimming and diving, short scalelike feathers, and white underparts with a dark back.
- Obsolete The great auk.
Origin of penguinPossibly from Welsh pen gwyn, White Head (name of an island in Newfoundland), great auk : pen, chief, head + gwynn, white; see weid- in Indo-European roots.
- Any of several flightless sea birds, of order Sphenisciformes, found in the Southern Hemisphere; marked by their usual upright stance, walking on short legs, and (generally) their stark black and white plumage. [from 16th c.]
- (slang) A nun (because of the black and white habit).
- (juggling) A type of catch where the palm of the hand is facing towards the leg with the arm stretched downward, resembling the flipper of a penguin.
- (botany) A spiny bromeliad with egg-shaped fleshy fruit.
penguin - Computer Definition
(1) (Penguin) A periodic set of changes to the Google search algorithm. See Google algorithm.
(2) The mascot for the Linux operating system, which was inspired by Linux Torvalds, creator of Linux. The mascot's name is "Tux," which stands for Torvalds UniX or tuxedo. Many people think penguins look like they are wearing a tux. See Penguinhead and Linux.