- The definition of a penguin is a bird that lives in the southern hemisphere, cannot fly and has flippers and webbed feet.
An example of a penguin is a bird that waddles across the ice.
A family of penguins.
penguin definition by Webster's New World
- great auk
- any of an order (Sphenisciformes) of flightless birds found in the Southern Hemisphere, having webbed feet and paddlelike flippers for swimming and diving
Origin: probably ; from Welsh pen gwyn, literally , white head (or Breton pen gouin): uncertain or unknown; perhaps in reference to a white headland on a northern Atlantic island, near which they were found
penguin definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various stout flightless marine birds of the family Spheniscidae, of cool regions of the Southern Hemisphere, having flipperlike wings and webbed feet adapted for swimming and diving, and short scalelike feathers that are white in front and black on the back.
- Obsolete The great auk.
Origin: Possibly from Welsh pen gwyn, White Head (name of an island in Newfoundland), great auk : pen, chief, head + gwynn, white; see weid- in Indo-European roots.
penguin - Computer Definition
(1) (Penguin) A periodic set of changes to the Google search algorithm. See Google algorithm.
(2) The mascot for the Linux operating system, which was inspired by Linux Torvalds, creator of Linux. The mascot's name is "Tux," which stands for Torvalds UniX or tuxedo. Many people think penguins look like they are wearing a tux. See Penguinhead and Linux.