- the opening words of a nursery rhyme
- a game played by clapping the hands in rhythm to this rhyme
Origin of patty-cake; from earlier spelling, spelled pat-a-cake
A child's game in which two participants gently strike the palms of their hands together in rhythmic beat, often accompanied by a nursery rhyme.
Origin of patty-cakeAlteration of pat-a-cake, the first words of the nursery rhyme accompanying the game.
- In the UK it is often accompanied by the nursery rhyme Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man.
- Alternative spelling of patty cake.
- a clapping game, played while reciting a rhyme