- Present participle of par.
Variant of par
- the established or recognized value of the money of one country in terms of the money of another country, based on a metal accepted as the common standard of value
- an equal or common status, standing, footing, level, etc.: usually in the phrase
- the average or normal state, condition, degree, etc.: work that is above par
- Commerce the nominal, or face, value of stocks, bonds, etc.
- Golf the number of strokes established as a skillful score for any given hole or for a whole course
Origin of parClassical Latin an equal, origin, originally adjective : see part
- of or at par
- average; normal
par for the course
that which is normal, usual, or to be expected under the circumstances