- the main floor of a theater, esp. that part from the orchestra pit to the parquet circle: usually called orchestra
- a flooring of parquetry
Origin of parquetFr, a small enclosed section from Middle French parchet, diminutive of parc, park
transitive verb-·queted′ , -·quet′ing
- to use parquetry to make (a floor, etc.)
- to decorate the floor of (a room) with parquetry
- A floor made of parquetry.
- The art or process of making parquetry.
- a. The part of the main floor of a theater between the orchestra pit and the parquet circle.b. The entire main floor of a theater.
transitive verbpar·queted, par·quet·ing, par·quets,
- To furnish with a floor of parquetry.
- To make (a floor, for example) of parquetry.
Origin of parquetFrench parquetry from Old French diminutive of parc enclosure ; see park .
- Made of parquetry.