Papuan[pap′yo̵̅o̅ ən, -o̵̅o̅-]
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
of Papua or its peoples, languages, or cultures
- a person born or living in Papua New Guinea
- a member of any of the indigenous peoples of New Guinea and nearby islands
- any of a group of languages spoken in New Guinea and elsewhere in the SW Pacific
- this language group
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Of or relating to the peoples, languages, or cultures of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea.noun
- A native or inhabitant of Papua New Guinea or New Guinea.
- A member of any of the indigenous peoples of New Guinea and neighboring islands.
- Any of the indigenous languages of New Guinea, New Britain, and the Solomon Islands.