- giant panda
- lesser panda
- panda car
Origin of pandaFrench ; from name in Nepal, apparently origin, originally for the lesser panda
- A bear (Ailuropoda melanoleuca) of the mountains of central China, having woolly fur with distinctive black and white markings. Also called giant panda, panda bear.
- An arboreal raccoonlike mammal (Ailurus fulgens) of northeast Asia, having reddish fur, white face markings, and a long ringed tail. Also called lesser panda, red panda.
Origin of pandaFrench, perhaps of Nepalese origin .
- (now rare without qualifying word) The red panda, a small raccoon-like animal, Ailurus fulgens of northeast Asia with reddish fur and a long, ringed tail. [from 19th c.]
- The giant panda - a black and white bear-like animal, Ailuropoda melanoleuca from the mountains of China. [from 19th c.]
- (UK, colloquial) A police car. [from 20th c.]
From French panda, apparently from a local language of Nepal but not traced in Nepali.
panda - Computer Definition
(1) A family of security software from Panda Security, Bilbao, Spain (www.pandasecurity.com). Among other products, it offers a cloud-based antivirus program that collects malware data from all of its users that are passed on to the rest of the Panda community within a few minutes. See antivirus.
(2) A periodic set of changes to the Google search algorithm. See Google algorithm.
(3) (Panda Project) See Archistrat computer.