a title formerly used for:
- a great king; emperor
- [oftenP-] the shah of Iran
- [oftenP-] the sultan of Turkey
- [oftenP-] the British sovereign as emperor of India
Origin of padishahPersian p?dsh?h from pati, master ( from Sanskrit p?ti: see potent) + sh?h, shah
- Used formerly as a title for the monarch of Iran.
- Used formerly as a title for the sultan of Turkey.
Origin of PadishahPersian pādshāh Old Persian pati- master ; see poti- in Indo-European roots.Persian shāh king ; see shah .
- Alternative form of Padishah.