to pass the winter
intransitive verbo·ver·win·tered, o·ver·win·ter·ing, o·ver·win·ters
- To remain alive through the winter: sheep that overwintered on the steppe.
- To pass or spend the winter: We usually overwinter in the Bahamas.
Occurring during the period of winter.
(third-person singular simple present overwinters, present participle overwintering, simple past and past participle overwintered)
- To keep or preserve for the winter.
- It is best to overwinter tender plants indoors.
- (intransitive) To spend the winter (in a particular place).
- Insects may overwinter in fallen fruit if it is not removed.