- Overnight is defined as something that extends from evening until morning, or something that happens very quickly.
- If you completely change your personality from one day to the next, this is an example of when your personality changes overnight.
- If you go on a trip that lasts from Monday evening until Tuesday morning, this is an example of when you go on a trip overnight.
- The definition of an overnight is a stop that lasts for one evening.
If you spend one night in New York City, this is an example of an overnight.
- Overnight means to ship something to be delivered the next day, or to stay somewhere for the evening and not leave until morning.
- If you FedEx something on Monday and it arrives on Tuesday, this is an example of a time when you overnight the package.
- If you sleep at your friend's house and leave the next day, this is an example of a time when you overnight.
overnight definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- during or through the night
- on or during the previous evening
- done or going on during or through the night
- of or for the previous evening
- staying through the night: an overnight guest
- ☆ of or for a brief trip: an overnight bag
an overnight stay, usually one away from home
to spend the night, usually away from home
overnight definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Lasting for, extending over, or remaining during a night: an overnight trip; an overnight guest.
- For use over a single night or for a short journey: overnight supplies.
- Mailed for guaranteed delivery on the next day: an overnight package.
- Happening as if in a single night; sudden: an overnight success.
- During or for the length of the night: Let the meat marinate overnight.
- In or as if in the course of one night; suddenly: became a sensation overnight.
An overnight stay or trip.verb o·ver·night·ed, o·ver·night·ing, o·ver·nights verb, intransitive
To spend the night: overnighting at a country inn.verb, transitive
To send by mail or other courier for delivery the next day.