overnight[ō′vər nīt′, ō′vər nīt′]
- Overnight is defined as something that extends from evening until morning, or something that happens very quickly.
- If you completely change your personality from one day to the next, this is an example of when your personality changes overnight.
- If you go on a trip that lasts from Monday evening until Tuesday morning, this is an example of when you go on a trip overnight.
- The definition of an overnight is a stop that lasts for one evening.
If you spend one night in New York City, this is an example of an overnight.
- Overnight means to ship something to be delivered the next day, or to stay somewhere for the evening and not leave until morning.
- If you FedEx something on Monday and it arrives on Tuesday, this is an example of a time when you overnight the package.
- If you sleep at your friend's house and leave the next day, this is an example of a time when you overnight.
- during or through the night
- on or during the previous evening
- done or going on during or through the night
- of or for the previous evening
- staying through the night: an overnight guest
- ☆ of or for a brief trip: an overnight bag
- Lasting for, extending over, or remaining during a night: an overnight trip; an overnight guest.
- For use over a single night or for a short journey: overnight supplies.
- Mailed for guaranteed delivery on the next day: an overnight package.
- Happening as if in a single night; sudden: an overnight success.
- During or for the length of the night: Let the meat marinate overnight.
- In or as if in the course of one night; suddenly: became a sensation overnight.
verbo·ver·night·ed, o·ver·night·ing, o·ver·nights
- Occurring between dusk and dawn.
- The overnight ferry docked at 10AM.
- Complete before the next morning.
- Don't expect results overnight.
(third-person singular simple present overnights, present participle overnighting, simple past and past participle overnighted)
- (intransitive) To stay overnight; to spend the night. [from 19th c.]
- (US) To send something for delivery the next day. [from 20th c.]
- We can overnight you the documents for signature.
- Items delivered or completed overnight.
- Have you looked at the overnights yet?
- An overnight stay, especially in a hotel or other lodging facility.