nubile[no̵̅o̅′bəl, -bīl′; nyo̵̅o̅′-]
- The definition of nubile is able to be married, or a young woman who is sexually attractive.
An example of someone nubile is a gorgeous, single young woman.
- marriageable: said of a young woman who seems mature
- sexually attractive: said of a young woman
Origin of nubileFrench nubile ; from Classical Latin nubilis ; from nubere, to veil oneself, marry ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sneubh-, to woo, marry from source Classical Greek nymphē, bride, nymph, Czech snoubiti, to woo
- Ready for marriage; of a marriageable age or condition. Used of young women.
- Sexually mature and attractive. Used of young women.
Origin of nubileLatin nūbilis, from nūbere, to take a husband.
(comparative more nubile, superlative most nubile)
For a man, especially a young man, eligible is sometimes used as the corresponding term, particularly in the phrase eligible bachelor.
- A young sexually attractive woman