- designating certain compounds containing nitrogen and produced by the action of nitric or nitrous acid
- designating the NO radical or compounds in which one or more NO radicals have replaced atoms of hydrogen
Origin of nitrofrom nitro-
- containing nitrogen compounds made by the action of nitric or nitrous acid and other substances: nitrocellulose
- containing the NO radical: nitrobenzene, nitroparaffin
- niter: nitrobacteria
Origin of nitro-see niter
- Nitrogen: a nitro-charged beer.
- Nitromethane: fueled the car with nitro.
- Nitroglycerin: took nitro for angina.
- Nitrate; niter: nitrobacterium.
- a. Nitrogen: nitrile.b. Containing the univalent group NO2: nitromethane.
Origin of nitro-New Latin from Latin nitrum natron ; see niter .
- A city in West Virginia