- designating certain compounds containing nitrogen and produced by the action of nitric or nitrous acid
- designating the NO radical or compounds in which one or more NO radicals have replaced atoms of hydrogen
Origin of nitro; from nitro-
⌂ Informal nitroglycerin
- containing nitrogen compounds made by the action of nitric or nitrous acid and other substances: nitrocellulose
- containing the NO radical: nitrobenzene, nitroparaffin
- niter: nitrobacteria
Origin of nitro-see niter
- Nitrate; niter: nitrobacterium.
- a. Nitrogen: nitrile.b. Containing the univalent group NO2: nitromethane.
Origin of nitro-New Latin, from Latin nitrum, natron; see niter.
- A city in West Virginia