- a salt of nitric acid containing the monovalent, negative radical NO
- an uncharged ester of this acid
- potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate, used as a fertilizer
Origin of nitrateFrench ; from Middle French nitre, niter
- The univalent anionic group NO3, derived from nitric acid, or a compound containing this group.
- Fertilizer consisting of sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate.
transitive verbni·trat·ed, ni·trat·ing, ni·trates
To treat with nitric acid or a nitrate, usually to change (an organic compound) into a nitrate.
(third-person singular simple present nitrates, present participle nitrating, simple past and past participle nitrated)
- To treat, or react, with nitric acid or a nitrate