- a salt of nitric acid containing the monovalent, negative radical NO
- an uncharged ester of this acid
- potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate, used as a fertilizer
Origin of nitrateFrench from Middle French nitre, niter
transitive verb-·trat·ed, -·trat·ing
to treat or combine with nitric acid or a nitrate; esp., to make into a nitrate
- The univalent anionic group NO3, derived from nitric acid, or a compound containing this group.
- Fertilizer consisting of sodium nitrate, potassium nitrate, or ammonium nitrate.
transitive verbni·trat·ed, ni·trat·ing, ni·trates
To treat with nitric acid or a nitrate, usually to change (an organic compound) into a nitrate.
(third-person singular simple present nitrates, present participle nitrating, simple past and past participle nitrated)
- To treat, or react, with nitric acid or a nitrate