- a salt of nitric acid containing the monovalent, negative radical NO
- an uncharged ester of this acid
- potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate, used as a fertilizer
Origin: Fr < MFr nitre, niter
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The univalent radical NO3 or a compound containing it, as a salt or an ester of nitric acid.
- Fertilizer consisting of sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate.
- ni·traˈtion noun
- niˈtraˌtor noun
nitrate - Medical Definition
- The univalent radical NO3.
- A compound containing such a radical, such as a salt or ester of nitric acid.
nitrate - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.