- Present participle of negative.
Variant of negative
- containing, expressing, or implying a denial or refusal; that says “no”: a negative reply
- opposite to something regarded as positive; specif.,
- lacking in positive character or quality
- lacking evidence, affirmation, etc.
- having the effect of diminishing, depriving, or denying
- faultfinding, antagonistic, destructive, etc.: negative criticism, a negative political campaign
- Biol. directed away from the source of a stimulus: negative tropism
- ☆ Elec.
- of, generating, or charged with negative electricity
- having an excess of electrons
- Logic denying something about a subject: “no reptiles are warmblooded” is a negative proposition
- Math. designating a quantity less than zero, or one to be subtracted; minus quantity
- Med. not having or not demonstrating, showing, or proving the presence or existence of a condition, infection, symptoms, bacteria, etc.: a patient who is negative for TB; the X-rays were negative
- Photog. reversing the relation of light and shade of the subject
Origin of negativeMiddle English negatife ; from Old French or L: Old French négatif ; from Classical Latin negativus ; from negatus: see negation
no; not so: so used in radio communication
- a word, affix, phrase, etc. that denies, rejects, or refuses (Ex.: no, not, by no means)
- a statement of denial, refusal, or rejection
- the point of view that denies or attacks the positive or affirmative: the negative won the debate
- an undesirable element or quality; drawback, shortcoming, defect, etc.
- an impression of something, as a sculpture, that shows it in reverse
- Obsolete the right of veto
- Elec. a terminal, electrode, or plate having an excess of electrons flowing out toward a positive terminal, electrode, or plate, as in a storage battery or dry cell
- Math. a quantity less than zero, or one to be subtracted; minus quantity
- Photog. an exposed and developed photographic film or plate on which light and shadow are the reverse of what they are in the positive printed from this
transitive verbnegatived, negativing
- to refuse; reject
- ☆ to veto (a candidate, motion, or bill)
- to deny; contradict
- to prove false; disprove
- to counteract; neutralize
in the negative
- in refusal or denial of a plan, suggestion, etc.
- with a denial or negative answer