- The definition of naturalism is a view, particularly a philosophical and artistic one, that bases everything on what can be seen, what is viewed as natural and what is viewed as Earthly.
An example of naturalism is an atheistic viewpoint.
naturalism definition by Webster's New World
- action or thought based on natural desires or instincts
- Literature, Art, etc.
- faithful adherence to nature; realism; specif., the principles and methods of a group of 19th-cent. writers, including Émile Zola, Gustave Flaubert, and Guy de Maupassant, who believed that the writer or artist should apply scientific objectivity and precision in observing and depicting life, without idealizing, imposing value judgments, or avoiding what may be regarded as sordid or repulsive
- the quality resulting from the use of such realism
- Ethics the theory that distinctions between good and bad can be reduced to nonnormative or factual terms and statements, according to psychology, biology, etc.
- Philos. the belief that the natural world, as explained by scientific laws, is all that exists and that there is no supernatural or spiritual creation, control, or significance
- Theol. the doctrine that religion does not depend on supernatural experience, divine revelation, etc., and that all religious truth may be derived from the natural world
naturalism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Factual or realistic representation, especially:a. The practice of describing precisely the actual circumstances of human life in literature.b. The practice of reproducing subjects as precisely as possible in the visual arts.
- a. A movement or school advocating such precise representation.b. The principles and methods of such a movement or of its adherents.
- Philosophy The system of thought holding that all phenomena can be explained in terms of natural causes and laws.
- Theology The doctrine that all religious truths are derived from nature and natural causes and not from revelation.
- Conduct or thought prompted by natural desires or instincts.
naturalism - Cultural Definition
In the visual arts, an attempt to depict the natural world as accurately and objectively as possible.
A movement in literature and the arts, and an approach to philosophy. Literary and artistic naturalism aims at accuracy and objectivity and cultivates realistic and even sordid portrayals of people and their environment. Philosophical naturalism, which is often identified with materialism, holds that minds, spirits, and ideas are fundamentally material.