- Having no living mother.
- Having no known mother.
- mothˈer·less·ness noun
Variant of mother
- a woman who has borne a child; esp., a woman as she is related to her child or children
- a stepmother
- an adoptive mother
- a mother-in-law
- the female parent of a plant or animal
- that which gives birth to something, is the origin or source of something, or nurtures in the manner of a mother
- a woman having the responsibility and authority of a mother
- mother superior: used esp. as a title
- an elderly woman: used as a title of affectionate respect
- Slang motherfucker: somewhat vulgar
Origin: ME moder < OE modor, akin to Ger mutter < IE *matér, mother (> L mater, Gr mētēr, OIr māthir) < *ma-, echoic of baby talk
- of, like, or like that of a mother
- derived or learned from or as if from one's mother; native: mother tongue
- designating a company, institution, etc. from which another or others originated: mother church
- to be the mother of; give birth to: often used figuratively
- to look after or care for as a mother does
- motherless adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.