(comparative more modernly, superlative most modernly)
- In a modern manner.
- In modern times; recently.
modern + -ly
Variant of modern
- of the present or recent times; specif.,
- of or having to do with the latest styles, methods, or ideas; up-to-date
- designating or of certain contemporary trends and schools of art, music, literature, dance, etc.
- of or relating to the period of history after the Middle Ages, from c. 1450 to the present day
- designating the form of a language in its most recent stage of development
Origin of modernFrench moderne ; from Late Latin modernus ; from Classical Latin modo, just now, origin, originally ablative of modus: see mode
- a person living in modern times
- a person having modern ideas, beliefs, standards, etc.
- Printing a style of typeface characterized by heavy down strokes contrasting with narrow cross strokes