- The definition of a moccasin is a soft slipper made of leather, or a slipper or shoe that is very similar.
An example of a moccasin is a shoe a person may wear around the house.
- a heelless slipper of soft, flexible leather, worn orig. by North American Indians
- any slipper more or less like this but with a hard sole and heel
- water moccasin
Origin: from Amerindian (Algonquian), as inch(es) Narragansett mokussin, Massachusett mohkisson
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A soft leather slipper traditionally worn by certain Native American peoples.
- Footwear resembling such a slipper.
- A water moccasin.
Origin: Of Virginia Algonquian origin; akin to Powhatan mäkäsĭn, shoe, and Ojibwa makisin.