- The definition of a moccasin is a soft slipper made of leather, or a slipper or shoe that is very similar.
An example of a moccasin is a shoe a person may wear around the house.
- a heelless slipper of soft, flexible leather, worn orig. by North American Indians
- any slipper more or less like this but with a hard sole and heel
- water moccasin
Origin of moccasin; from Amerindian (Algonquian), as in Narragansett mokussin, Massachusett mohkisson
- A soft leather slipper traditionally worn by certain Native American peoples.
- Footwear resembling such a slipper.
- A water moccasin.
Origin of moccasinOf Virginia Algonquian origin; akin to Powhatan m&adie;k&adie;sĭn, shoe, and Ojibwa makisin.
late 19th-century to early 20th-century Cheyenne beaded moccasins
From Powhatan mockasins, mawhcasuns (plural).