Variant of minute
- the sixtieth part of any of certain units; specif.,
- of an hour; sixty seconds
- of a degree of an arc; sixty seconds: symbol, ′
- a very short period of time; moment; instant
- a specific point in time
- a measure of the distance usually covered in a minute: five minutes from downtown
- a note or memorandum
- an official record of what was said and done at a meeting, convention, etc.
Origin: OFr from Midieval Latin minuta from Classical Latin (pars) minuta (prima), (first) small (part), term used by Ptolemy for the sixtieth part of a unit inch(es) his system of fractions (of the circle, radius, day, later applied also to the hour): see minute
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.