- a very small opening in the outer coats of an ovule, through which the pollen tube penetrates
- the corresponding opening in the developed seed
- Zool. a very small opening in the membrane of an ovum of some animals, through which spermatozoa can enter
Origin of micropyleFrench from Classical Greek mikro- (see micro-) + pyl?, gate
- Botany A minute opening in the ovule of a seed plant through which the pollen tube usually enters.
- Zoology A pore in the membrane covering the ovum of some animals through which a spermatozoon can enter.
Origin of micropylemicro- Greek pulē gate
From French, from Ancient Greek Î¼Î¹ÎºÏÏŒÏ‚ (mikros, “small") + Ï€ÏÎ»Î· (pulÄ“, “gate")