metrology[mi träl′ə jē]
metrology definition by Webster's New World
- the science of weights and measures
- pl. metrologies a system of weights and measures
Origin: metro- plush -logy
metrology definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. me·trol·o·gies
- The science that deals with measurement.
- A system of measurement.
Origin: French métrologie, from Greek metrologiā, theory of ratios : metron, measure; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots + -logiā, -logy.
- metˌro·logˈi·cal adjective
- metˌro·logˈi·cal·ly adverb
- me·trolˈo·gist noun
metrology - Computer Definition
The science of weights and measures. Metrology is an important part of semiconductor manufacturing where high-resolution tools are required to measure the tiny elements in a chip that continue to decrease year after year.